Gamma Sigma Sigma National Service Sorority was founded by six organizations who shared a common goal: uniting in service. The organizations recognized as founding members are: Alpha Gamma Chi, Booster Squad of Brooklyn, Gamma Sigma Sigma, Omega Service Sorority, Phi Gamma, and Women's Service Organization.
October 10-12 1952, representatives met for the Constitutional Convention at Beekman Towers in New York City. A name, insignia, and colors were voted on, and the first charters were given to the organizations in attendance. October 12, 1952 is recognized as Gamma Sigma Sigma's National Founder's Day.
Two names were presented as possibilities for the newly formed organization: Gamma Sigma Sigma, the name of the Drexel group, and Alpha Gamma Chi, the name of the Los Angeles City College and University of Houston groups. Members voted to name the organization Gamma Sigma Sigma and to adopt the pin and other symbols used by Alpha Gamma Chi as the official insignia of the new sorority with only minor changes to accommodate the new name.
Members of the Brooklyn College requested that maroon and white be the official sorority colors as they had recently spent money to purchase new uniforms for their organization. These colors were adopted as official colors with maroon symbolizing service and white symbolizing friendship and equality. The National Constitution went into effect on January 1, 1953.